Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Pearl (Centennial Edition)





My Rating: 5 of 5 stars
by anomyous student

I'm not such a great student. Reading never came easy to me, so I was suprised by how much I liked this book. The themes of money and imperialism made me think a lot about Mexico and what it means for an immigrant who thinks they have found a "pearl" when they come to America. Then, they lose their family. They find that this place is not what it was cracked up to be.

The characters were believable.  I found myself thinking of my own family a bunch. I thought about my mom making tortillas and our house that had no floor.  I thought about the dust on my feet and the smell of our home.  It made me wonder if they miss that at all.  

The plot was also believable.  It's easy to see how the powerful who run the companies and the countries and all of that have the power to control people. At first this thought was depressing, but by the end it reminded me that life is about more than just money.  It's about people and family and so it's okay if I never end up rich.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment