Thursday, January 10, 2008

walkout

By ND

Walkout" a new film tells the story of the 1968 walkout by high school Chicano students in East L.A to protest academic prejudice and dire school conditions. Many Chicano students like as Paula Crisostomo and Sal Castro, walkout with proud inside them. Students were forbidden from speaking Spanish in class or from using the restrooms during lunchtime.

In March 1968, the Chicano students decided to take a stand against the injustice and staged walkouts in schools across L.A.In March 1968, the students decided to take a stand against the injustice and staged walkouts in schools across L.A and all the Chicano students walked out. Many date the modern Chicano movement to the walkouts when some 20,000 teenagers took to the streets and started to fight with pride ,Many of the students who participated in the walkouts went on to successful careers in politics,etc. The students were arrested and jailed for disturbing the peace.This movie WALKOUT connects to society because it happen before and that people did fight for there rights like; Cesar Chavez, Martin Luther King Jr, Malcom X and Rosa Parks. It shows that it is a movement of people rather than something don by one person.

As a student, Chicana I would do the same thing like this movie had did like all the Chicano students walkout at 9:00am and fought for there rights. I would protest and keep fighting until all that would stop. I think that if we keep doing walkouts then we would get what we want. We should all be equal and be friends with who ever we want. If I was an adult and had kids I would want them to watch this movie and ask them what did they learn from the movie. This is a really good movie.

I picked this movie because it connects to social studies and it tells a lesson. I thought about what’s going on right now about walking out and protesting and this movie really just got my mind and started thinking to myself. I told myself I would do the same if I had the chance.

Go back to Article page on Social Voice Website

No comments:

Post a Comment