Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Travel Journal: Globalization

by Brenda

While going to Mexico, I noticed many aspects of how globalization has changed the landscape, the people and the culture. The following are just a few examples:

Transportation:
The Lozoya Shuttle seems at first to be a Mexican transportation company. However, it shuttles people to places like New Mexico, Mexico, Salt Lake City and the entire North American region. The company itself has shuttles all over the world and most likely has investors from the world as well. Even if it is not transnational yet, it is an example of how our methods of movement have become globalized.


Food:
Every place I go in Mexico seems to have a McDonalds. I wouldn't be surprised to see one under the sea someday (perhaps a Krusty Krab styled similar to a globalized cartoon sponge) No matter where the location is, the structure of the restaraunt is the same, even when the food isn't. So whenever you are craving a Quarter Pounder, Chicken McNuggets or McFlurry just wander around your town, wherever that might be in the world and there's sure to be one.

Music:
As I spent some time at my tia's (aunt's) store in Mexico, you would think all the music would be Mexican. Well that's incorrect. My tia's workers had songs like "bartender" and "shadow of the day" and "disturbia" on their cell phones. The radio station played songs with global appeal, from regeton to rap to rock. Who am I to judge, but do they even know what the songs mean? Or is it that they like the rhythm? Is the feel of music the same globally? Or have we lost the national flavor? I find it strange that I am a Mexican-American who listens to more Mexican music than many of the Mexicans I met in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment