Tuesday, September 23, 2008

helping at the food bank

Students on Saturday, September 20th, students in Social Voice volunteered at the West Side Food Bank.

To imagine my mom hugging me as shiver with hunger. To imagine us begging for food on the side of the street. It's a terror screaming nightmare. Yet everyday around the world it's happening. I give my best wishes and hopes to those who are going through such a vast rough patch. I couldn't put myself in their shoes.

When Mr.Spencer announced that we were going to be doing community service at the St. Marys Food Bank, I couldn't wait to join. Two of my teachers and a couple of my peers and myself, got to the Food Bank bright and early at 8:00am to start work immediately. Once there, one lady gave us a brief history about St.Marys Food Bank then put us right to work. We started off Packing 'Bonus Boxes' where there had to be two things of bread, one pastry, and veggies. Things were going slow with that, but some of my peers were working hard in the chilling freezer where they had to unpack dairy, meat, and ice cream then pack them into boxes in limited time. Then in the last 2 hours or so, work picked up and I was moving.

It felt incredibly warm to know that I was working hard for those who are less fortunate then me. Not only did we work hard and do something good, we also had a great time. That's the best part. This experience was one of a lifetime and I would gladly do it again.

-Antonese

No comments:

Post a Comment