Monday, September 17, 2007

An Open Letter to a Textbook Company

Dear Textbook Company:

I am not even sure who I should write to. Do I write to an editor, an official, a politician who decided this was the book I should read? I wish I had a face in front of me.
I think your book has a lot of bias in it. There should be major changes in the American Nation book, because there were and are more important people in this world that lived or that are living that should be in there. History is more than just the white men.

You hardly even include any kind of women in that biased book. You should have more other cultures in there besides whites. I did an analysis of the pictures and noticed that over eighty percent are white and over eighty percent are men. What message does that send students?
I think that's the reason that students tag in them, because students believe that the books are full of crap!!! Students are supposed to believe what the book says but the book misrepresents the truth. I cannot learn this way. It is not good to hide other history from us. We will not learn anything with the things that are in the book because most of the textbook is biased, innacurate, prejudiced, or irrelevant to our lives.

Sincerely:
A Middle School Student

No comments:

Post a Comment